Monday, May 7, 2007

Sparky's Flaw

Sometimes you just know a band is going to be good without hearing them. At least I can, but I think it is true of most people. I would call it word of mouth, but a lot of people tell me to listen to bands that turn out to be not very good. I would say it was when certain people or when specific tastemakers recommend something, but that is not it either. Music is a personal thing, and many people rave about bands that have no real sales potential, but every once in a while you hear about a band and the manner they are described and the people associated with them makes it clear that they have a shot at success.

Sparky’s Flaw was the latest band I needed to see, and I was not disappointed. I’m two weeks late on my review, but I needed some time to think about the real possibility of this band. They were playing the BMI new music showcase, a monthly event at Arlene’s where BMI showcases a particular artist that they believe in. June at BMI had been raving about them, and that is one mark in their favor – as their performing rights organization is behind them. Their management is Redlight (Dave Matthews and Update: not Govt Mule). They have savvy, connected, forward, thinking management - so that is the second mark in their favor. I could go on about how their lawyer is powerful, or their booking agent is diligent, and so on, but a lot of bands have similar credentials and a dedicated team.

The difference is the way these people talk about the band, you can hear it in their voice. It is not a regurgitated platitude of greatness backed by hopes that it will catch on, but rather true belief that this band should be heard by everyone. This is because Sparky’s Flaw writes good songs; songs with melody, and pace, and lyrics that are not too dumb, nor too obscure.

You can listen here:

Sparky’s Flaw Myspace Page

The second song Words Meet Heartbeats is a hit. It starts off with an uplifting pounding keyboard riff, then moves into evocative lyrics that somehow create images in my mind without using descriptive words and are delivered by a young man with a great voice.

When I left their showcase I had this song in my head on the walk home. The next day it popped into my head at the grocery store (Italian deli) and it did not go away. For the next week this song found its way into my head and I was not complaining. I had it playing while writing this post, so I’m sure I can expect more of the same for the remainder of the week.

I predict that this song will be heard all over the radio in 6 months to a year depending on how long it takes to decide on a label and record a full length album and decide on a marketing plan so the actual timing I’m not sure of, but this is a hit. It’s the perfect replacement for when the Fray’s second album inevitably bombs and the world is starving for piano based rock.

The flip side is that the band can also play free form. I mean really jam. Their Charlottesville roots shine through and the college guys in back of me kept yelling as they let their instruments fly. The inevitable comparison will be the next Dave Matthews Band, as they hail from the same hometown and have the same management, and a horn section, but that seems lazy. It is like when sportscasters compare a new player on the team to a past superstar because of their backgrounds rather than the similarity between their games. They can play though.

There was a ton of A&R and assorted industry folk at the show and the band played well, which should cement their pursuit. Anyone who wasn’t paying attention to this band should. If they get the right label to add to their already stellar team, they will be successful. That is not wishful thinking. That is something I just know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Piano-based rock! Yeah!

The gaping, Dashboard Confessional-sized hole in my heart now has hope to be filled.

Anonymous said...

i am pretty sure Gov't Mule is not managed by Red Light. DMB yes.

Signing Power said...

Anonymous, you are right, I got confused by Gov't Mules association with Music Today which are the same people as Red Light.

Gove't Mule is Hard Head management. My apologies